Sunday, November 18, 2007

Illini 41, Northwestern 22 (a Message from Ron Zook)

Hello. My name is Ron Zook. Three years ago I came to Champaign after being tossed on my ass by the Florida Gators. Did I deserve it back then? Maybe. Depends on who you ask. Florida won a National Championship last season with their new coach. Sure, he had a bunch of the players I brought in but he - they - did a lot of work on their own. I'm happy for them and wish them continued success.

But look here. We've got some players in Champaign now. Guys who hit the field and flat out play. You know their names by now. Guys like Norwell, Davis, Miller and Harrison. J Leman. Guys like Benn and Dufrene. Eddie McGee. Jeff Cumberland. Some freshmen who are waiting for their time, guys like Josh Brent and Martez Wilson. A few more guys who can catch, Hudson and Gamble. The big kids on the o-line: Xavier Fulton, Jon Asamoah, Martin O'Donnell, Ryan McDonald, Akim Millington. And who do they move mountains for? Mostly a guy named Rashard and a guy named Juice.

Players. All of them. I'm just proud to be able to go out on Saturdays and watch these men play hard, play to win, and leave everything out on the field.

(pause as a single tear rolls down his cheek)

I'm just real proud.

Well, that's all the time I'm going to take for now. I'd say see you in Orlando on January 1 but I've heard some folks say we may go out to Tempe. You know what? It doesn't matter. Wherever they send us we'll be there.

We. Will. Be. There.

Go Illini!

No comments: