Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Courting Hoffman

Reports in the media are that a certain NL Central team is courting everyone's favorite future HOF closer.

Yeah, that's right, this guy:

The thought of Trev in another uni makes me want to drop a deuce on Alderson's carpet. At the same time, Trev isn't the pitcher he once was and baseball is, after all, about winning. It's also a business and maybe the Padres just can't afford Hoffman. Whatever the reason, I guarantee Trevor gets stoked if he ever pitches against the Drinos.

I remember September 2003. I was in the Diego for a few days and my Dad and I went to Qualcomm for a game, I think one of the final 12 or so at the Q. Don't remember much about the game, I could look it up on baseball-reference.com if I was so inclined, but I do remember that the Drinos brought in Trevor for a non-save situation. He hadn't pitched all season after undergoing shoulder surgery (nice fill in work by Rod Beck). He looked good and I remember feeling good about the fact that the '04 Padres, sporting new digs at Petco Park, would have Brian Giles in RF and a healthy Trevor Hoffman closing out games. Those were good days.

Look, Trevor isn't officially gone. But now that day feels real close.

No comments: