Friday, April 24, 2009

Bolts-Illini Cross-Over Alert!! Kevin Acee Discusses Vontae Davis

You know this blog gets excited when a story impacts two or more of the teams this blog covers. Who doesn't love efficiency, right? Well, this morning I click on the U-T's Chargers page and what do I see but an article on the Illini's Vontae Davis written by Bolts beat reporter, Kevin Acee.

Choice.

Acee's theme is that Vontae, while one of the premier defensive backs in the draft and a no-doubt first round talent according to NFL draft experts, may fall as many as ten spots because of questions surrounding his maturity and drive. Acee even points to some quotes from the Zooker and notes that Zook had to demote Vontae last Fall from his starting role for awhile.

I'll tell you, I've been hearing this news for awhile now - dating back to last season - and in my non-expert opinion, I think it's bologna (pronounced buh-log-na). Not Acee's story, mind you. (Kiss up alert!) That was a very accurate report on the prevailing view of Vontae's draft status and potential as an NFL player. And well written. What I think is lunch meat - and I don't mean to get all postmodern here - is that prevailing view itself. Vontae may be a head case but he is not the type of head case who will flame out and miss out on becoming a star in the League. His head-casedness, if you will, is more about half-assing it against teams like Louisiana-Lafayette when he knows he is going to the draft next season and - God bless Zook - is not getting pushed real hard by his college coaching staff.

When Vontae puts on that NFL uniform - perhaps a Bolts uniform if A.J. trades down and Vontae is still available at, say, 21? - I think he'll come to play. That's my projection, at least.

Of course if he goes to the Raiduhs or another rival AFC team I'm sure he'll be a bust.

At least that's what I'll tell anyone who asks.

No comments: