Saturday, April 18, 2009

I'm Not A Good Padres Fan

Scotty,

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I missed your heroics last night. The only part of the game I watched was the final out of the top of the 9th and then the bottom half when Heath closed it out for his sixth straight - thrilling - save. I missed your bomb, your go-ahead double, Nick's bomb, Luis' bomb and Chase's laser from right field to nail Greg Dobbs at the plate and preserve the Padres slim 1-run lead in the 8th.

I missed all that and I have no one to blame but myself.

Actually, I guess I can also blame the cable guy who never fixed the television feed upstairs at McGee's, where I was for happy hour with Geleaux, McGally and Tatt Mareeco. Knowing McGee's has the baseball package, I asked the bartender promptly at 7 PM EST if he could put the Pads-Phillies game on one of the four upstairs televisions. He told me that the cable was broken upstairs and the guy had not come around to fix it yet. He was kind enough, however, to confirm that they were showing the Padres game downstairs. Literally, a six second walk down the stairs from where we were standing.

Of course we didn't go downstairs. The main reason, I'll admit, was that the bar was crowded and we didn't want to lose our spot by the upstairs bar. But also I happened to glance at the score around 7:20 and saw that the Phils were already up 5-0. I'm not gonna lie ... that put a damper on my desire to watch the game.

It wasn't until about two hours later that Geleaux happened to glance at the score again and said the Drinos were only down 7 - 5. Even then I didn't rush downstairs. Instead, I casually finished another Stella and by the time we got downstairs you had already put the Padres ahead with that choice double down the third base line.

I was extremely pleased but immediately felt the pangs of regret.

I promise I won't miss anymore of your heroics.

Best,
Bevormo

No comments: