Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Padres Win Citi Field Opener ... In Style

Jody,

McGee's. Midtown Manhattan. That's where I was last night when you smoked one of the more historic bombs in Major League history.

I had just finished a Guinness and was about to partake of a draft Stella Artois (served in an enticing glass goblet, mind you) when I looked up at the television screen to see you yank the third pitch in Citi Field history into the stands in right field. My first reaction was to set the Stella down on a nearby table (wouldn't want to spill any) and I then proceeded to walk the length of the bar with my two hands clenched in fists, not really pumping them but more so just shaking them in excitement. Geleaux, who was standing next to me at the time and has no love for the Metsies, could not stop laughing. My other buddy, McGally, a top Met fan, could only stare in dumb silence at the television screen as his beloved Metsies ushered in the Citi Field era in a most ignominious fashion.

Another notable event: about six minutes before your bomb I looked over at McGally, who was triple tasking trying to drink his Stella, watch the pre-game coverage and send work e-mails on his blackberry, and said, "How nervous are Metsie fans that the first game in Citi Field history ends with Duaner Sanchez getting a hold and Heath Bell closing it out for a save?"

I don't remember McGally's answer but I'm pretty sure he could already feel the footsteps. Sure enough, a few hours later, Duaner and Heath pitched perfect innings to preserve the Drinos 1-run lead and close out the victory.

What a night. Made even more perfect by solid episodes of House and How I Met Your Mother ....

Looking forward to Wednesday.

Best,
Bevormo

No comments: