Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Underway In Chicago


The Padres and Cubs are underway at Wrigley tonight with the Padres holding a 2-0 lead on Adrian Gonzalez's first inning 2-run bomb. Jake has pitched well and Kouz made a sweet diving stop to preserve the shutout through 4.

Growing up in Peoria, Illinois, about 3 hours south of Chicago, the (then) bi-annual visit by the Padres to Wrigley was always my favorite time of the season. You'd get to watch the Padres on WGN with the legendary Harry Caray and the great Steve Stone announcing (that is, if you weren't at school ... no Tivo or night games at Wrigley in those hallowed days), and at least once a year my Dad would drive us up to Wrigley for one of the games.

(F. Soriano just doubled home Geovany Soto.)

One of the most memorable moments during those trips involved Leon "Bull" Durham. Before a game in the mid-80s (not sure the exact year), Leon was taking a break from batting practice to sign autographs along the brick wall near the Cubs dugout. A long line of fans weaved up the concrete steps. My Dad and I were near the back of the line but we waited it out and, finally, made it to the point where we were next.

Leon signed an autograph for the guy in front of me and then, stunningly, turned to walk back toward home plate.

I was speechless and my youthful heart, which was pounding in my chest at being that close to a big league ballplayer, almost stopped. I didn't know what to do.

My Dad didn't hesitate.

He yelled out, "Leon! Hey Leon!"

Leon paused his massive frame, looked over his shoulder, and then turned and walked back toward us. He signed my program, then stayed and signed a few more autographs before walking back to get a few more hacks in.

(F. Milton Bradley just crushed a 2-run bomb off Peavy in the bottom of the 6th.)

Leon, for this I will always remember you as a true beast. Thanks, man.

(Notice I didn't mention the error you made in the 7th inning of Game 5 of the 1984 NLCS. You're a beast for that too.)


No comments: