Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lake Elsinore Storm Starting Rotation: The K-Men


Dear Lake Elsinore Storm Starting Rotation (Messrs. Kluber, Hefner, Luebke, Pelzer and McBryde),

That's quite a rotation you guys have at Lake Elsinore this season. I was perusing the Internets this morning, reviewing some minor league statistics, when I noticed that you guys have some monster stats down in the Cal League. WHIP, wins, innings pitched, ERA, all that jive.

But what really jumped out at me were the number of Ks you've all amassed. And I'm not talking about just one guy getting a bunch of Ks and carrying the rest of the group. I'm talking about a consistently high number of Ks down the line from each and every one of you.

Let me lay out the numbers though I'm sure you all already know them:

Corey Kluber (pictured above): 93Ks, 1st in the Cal League
Cory Luebke: 80Ks, 3rd in the Cal League
Jeremy McBryde: 76Ks, T6th in the Cal League
Wynn Pelzer: 76 Ks, T6th in the Cal League
Jeremy Hefner: 75Ks, T8th in the Cal League

I'm no mathmetician, but that looks to me like the entire rotation is in the top 8 in Ks in the Cal League. None too shabby.

From this point forward I'm dubbing you the K-Men. It's like the X-Men, except far less creative and interesting.

Good luck in the second half. Perhaps a couple of you will make the move to San Antone.

Best,
Bevormo

[Update: 8:40 PM EST: I was thinking about this some more and I thought of a comparison. You five guys are all in the top 8 in the Cal League in strikeouts. What, I just asked myself, would the Padres rotation look like if they had 5 of the top 8 strikeout pitchers in the NL? The answer? It's these five beasts:

Tim Lincecum: 125 Ks, 1st in NL
Johan Santana: 97 Ks, 3rd in NL
Dan Haren: 96 Ks, 5th in NL
Yovani Gallardo: 93 Ks, 6th in NL
Josh Johnson: 88 Ks, 8th in NL

Yeah, I'd take that rotation.

Incidentally, despite missing a couple starts, Peavy is seventh in the NL with 92 Ks.]

No comments: