Sunday, July 5, 2009

Au Revoir Scotty Bombs

Scotty,

The Padres traded you tonight to the Oakland A's for a couple minor league pitchers. I understand the reasoning behind the decision - the Padres want to free at-bats for young outfielders like Blanks, Venable and Macias and they want to add power-arms to increase minor league pitching depth - but I'm trying to hard to keep my composure here. For one, I just saw Up tonight and my emotions are already overextended. But even more so, I realized when I read about the trade that you had become one of my favorite players over the past couple years. I guess I knew that in the back of my mind, but now that you are gone it really hits home.

I don't know what else to say here so I've decided to pay you a brief tribute by listing my favorite bombs you've hit as a Padre since your arrival in July 2007.

What a beast you've been.

1. August 3, 2007: your first bomb as a Padre, a game-tying 2-0ut, 3-run bomb in the bottom of the 8th off the Giants' Vinnie Chulk;

2. August 3, 2007: your second bomb as a Padre, a walk-off bomb in the bottom of the 10th off the Giants' Jack Taschner;

3. September 14, 2007: a lead-off, solo shot in the bottom of the 9th to start a rally leading to a 5-4 10-inning Padres win;

4. September 19, 2007: a 2-out, walk-off 3-run bomb off Matty Capps of the Buccos;

5. October 1, 2007: the one-game playoff against the Rockies, you hit a go-ahead two-run bomb off Jorge Julio in the top of the 13th that had me off the edge of the sofa and high-fiving everyone in my apartment (my wife) ... alas;

6. May 25, 2008: a solo shot off Francisco Cordero to tie the Reds in the bottom of the 9th, leading to a Padres win in 18 innings;

7. June 7, 2008: a walk-off bomb off Pedro Feliciano in the bottom of the 10th;

8. July 27, 2008: a go-ahead bomb in the top of the 8th at PNC Park leading to a Padres win (I was in attendance);

9. April 17, 2009: at Philly, a 5th-inning bomb off Cole Hamels to start a miraculous Padre comeback; and

10. May 30, 2009: a go-ahead bomb off Huston Street of the Rockies in the top of the 9th.

I'm never going to forget any one of those bombs.

If I shed a single tear tonight, please don't think any lesser of me as a man.

Best,
Bevormo

No comments: