Friday, August 7, 2009

Beat The Mets

Something about the New York Mets always makes me think of the 1960s. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact the Mets began as a franchise in 1962, were terrible, and then turned it all around and had a World Championship in the bag by 1969.

If that turnaround doesn't lay claim to consideration as Team of the Decade, I don't know what will.

Of course the assocation with the '60s might also come from my many trips to Shea Stadium the past five years. That old park was built in 1964 and, until it was torn down earlier this year, always felt a bit like walking into a time machine each time I passed through its gates.

Not that any of this nostalgia changes the main point I want to convey this evening.

That is, I hope Kevin Correia dominates the Mets tonight and Kyle Blanks, Adrian Gonzalez and the boys send our old friend OP to an early shower.

Game on.

No comments: