Monday, August 10, 2009

A Conference Room In Stamford, Connecticut

Where was I yesterday afternoon? Answer: in a windowless conference room in the Stamford, Connecticut Marriott, dressed in a suit, taking a deposition in an insurance coverage litigation involving issues of policy exhaustion and pro rata time on the risk allocation across an extended coverage bloc.

Now I don't have the time to explain what any of that means, nor do I really know myself, but trust me, it's not a preferred way to spend a Sunday. The only redeeming factor of the day was that the USA Dart Classic was being held in Salons A, B and C of the Marriott. Imagine a carpeted hotel ballroom lined with portable dartboards and filled with pinpoint dart throwers swilling bottles of Bud and eating corn dogs. I walked into the ballroom during a break in the deposition and one guy staggered over and said in a high-pitched voice, "Hey, nice tie man. Nice tie."

Needless to say I felt out of place.

My point in telling you all this is that I was not pleased with my lot in life yesterday and, feeling that way, wanted to post a blog entry that captured that mood.

How better to do that than with links to video of three of the more heinous moments in Padre history.

First, Alan Trammell's second bomb in Game 4 of the 1984 World Series. Is it me or does Eric Show look like he is frightened of his own shadow. Granted, he was in Detroit and that's a scary place, but you'd think he could have presented a more imposing presence on such a grand stage.

Second, Kirk Gibson's 8th inning blast off of Goose Gossage in Game 5 of the '84 World Series after Goose convinced Dick Williams not to intentionally walk Gibson. Not a good decision. But seriously though, could that d-bag Gibson have trotted around the bases any slower?

And third, Mark Langston's strike out of Tino Martinez in Game 1 of the 1998 World Series that the umpire missed, leading directly to Tino hitting a go-ahead grand slam. Take a look at Mark's pitch at the 40 second mark. Only one word can describe that pitch: strike.

Hope I didn't depress anyone with this list but not everyday can be happy go lucky. I will say though that the day ended on a positive uptick as I watched the Red Sox-Yanquis game from a suite at the New Stade Fascist. Free hot dogs, mac and cheese and draft Coors Louies.

I guess it wasn't that bad a Sunday after all.

No comments: