Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Padres Game I Attended: D'Backs at Padres, April 29, 2005

You know those games where you have a feeling how its going to play out? Where your instincts give you a sense of what will happen? Almost like a Spidey-sense letting you see things happen before they do, in fact, happen?

This game in April '05 was one of those games.

I was in L.A. for work during the day and, instead of staying in L.A. for the night or flying on the redeye back to New York, I decided to drive down to the Diego for the ballgame.

Good thing I did. First of all, it was a Peavy v. B. Webb ballgame and the Peav did not disappoint. He threw 8 innings, K'd 7 and left the game with a 4-3 lead. It's kind of sad to think there won't be any more games from Peavy like that - at least not in a Padres uniform - and I'm grateful for every chance I got to see him throw as a Friar.

And second, there was a feeling, at least in my mind, that the Padres just weren't going to lose. Even when Tony Clark lined a game-tying double down the first base line off Trevor with two outs in the ninth - a moment I could also feel was coming - I knew the Padres would win. And as inning after inning went by, I remained optimistic; an optimism that was rewarded when Phil Nevin singled home Xavier Nady with the running run in the bottom of the 15th.

By that point of the game I was one of maybe 5,000 fans still left in the ballpark and was sitting about five rows back behind the Padres dugout.

So choice.

No comments: