Sunday, July 4, 2010

Don Coryell ... One Of The Great Ones

This happened a few days ago, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the passing of one of the great football coaches of all time, Don Coryell.

Coryell's impact on the offensive game of professional football is well-documented.

All I'll add here is that when I first became cognizant of Charger football, Coryell was the coach and his high-powered offenses made it very easy to be a fan. What more could a 6-year old kid ask for than his favorite team scoring 35 points per game?

In fact, even after Philip leads to the Bolts to a few Super Bowl titles over the next few years, when I think Chargers, the first thing I'll think about are the blue-and-yellow clad Bolts teams of the early 80s, captained by Danny Fouts and led from the sidelines by the brilliant Don Coryell.

Way to get it dun, Don.

No comments: