Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Drinos In D.C.

Back in the day I was a student in the great city of Washington, D.C.

One of my favorite spots in the city was the Jefferson Memorial. On the right night - think any night of the year when it's not raining or 100 degrees - you could walk over to the Memorial, sit on the steps by the water and surreptitously drink wine, beer or booze that you'd packed in your backpack. I mean, that wasn't necessarily "allowed," but it is what I did on a couple of occasions.

Those were good times.

I honestly can't think of a better spot to surreptitiously drink booze in public than the Jefferson Memorial. (Note: Obviously I'm not including here the best spot in the world to drink booze in public, which is the hills of the AlbaicĂ­n in Granada, Spain looking back at the Alhambra. But public drinking is legal in Spain so there is no need to be surreptitious.)

All of this is just a long way of saying that the Padres are in D.C. this week for three games against the Nationals. I've been to a solid handful of Drino-Natty games in the District, but alas won't be heading down this year.

No doubt Clayton Richard can get the series off to a good start tonight without me.

No comments: