Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Weekend In The Burgh

To commemorate these next two games against the Buccos, I wanted to put up a few photos from my trip to Pittsburgh during the Bucco-Drino series at the end of July. Along with my advisor, JJ Geleaux, a trip to the Burgh for the Drinos series has become a biannual rite of summer. This marked our third trip in the last 6 seasons.

This year we definitely did it right. We stayed at the Omni William Penn Hotel which I highly recommend everyone should do when visiting the Burgh. We also frequented a number of excellent watering holes, including The Tap Room, the Oyster House, Primanti Bros. and Mullen's. It was stiflingly hot throughout the weekend so we made sure to keep the drinks flowing like wine, and hung out in spots where the air condition flowed like wine.

Here are a few photos from the trip. I hope you enjoy them.


The epic Roberto Clemente statue outside the stadium. Clemente was a favorite player of my Dad's, and he passed that admiration on to me. Seeing this statue makes me glad the Padres got the Tony Gwynn statue done. Both statues are similarly awesome.


Another shot as the sun peeked out from behind some clouds.


A final shot of the statue profiled against Clemente Bridge and the downtown skyline. Note the Drino fan with the big calves walking out of the picture. I don't know who the guy was, but like me, he was excited to get a photo of the statue.

Our seats for Friday night's game might be the best in all of baseball. For only $40 a pop we had Club access (a/c, beer sales until the final out of the game, a/c) and seats right above home plate. The view of the game is outstanding and when you couple in the stunning view of downtown Pittsburgh, there may not be a better seat in sports.

The view from our seats after sunset. How about that moon.


For Saturday night's game we splurged and bought Lexus Club seats. They're pricey - we paid $140 each - but the access and amenities are excellent. You can enter the stadium early and have access to a full bar and buffet dinner. Plus there's a/c. Oh and it basically feels like you're in the dugout.

Adrian warming up his bat.


I'm pretty sure that's Scotty Hairston, and not Jerry Hairston Jr., warming up before the game. I know I could look it up real easy, but I kind of like that I can't tell just by looking at the photo.


This was the first time I saw the Yoda backpack they make the junior guys in the bullpen wear each night. Fantastic idea. I'm on board.

The next manager of the Marlins?



Bud. Puffing out his chest like a proud father for his first-place ballclub.



Adrian in the on-deck circle.


Readying himself for battle.



Just fouling off a pitch.


The Bucco pitcher - I think it was Jeff Karstens - warming up before an inning.


Mat Latos. Dealing.


The mood surrounding the Buccos in the Burgh is not positive.


One of the best parts of the weekend: the Steve Miller Band played after the game on Saturday night. It started raining halfway through his set, but Steve gamely stayed on stage and played all of his recognizable hits. The fans loved it.

The rain in the spotlight.
Finally, let me leave you with this choice shot of a Padres fan roaming the club section at PNC. Rollie would be proud.

No comments: