Thursday, September 2, 2010

"Dadgummitt"

My Dad is one of the world's longest-tenured Padres fans. He moved to San Diego to join the Navy in 1969, the first year of the Padres Major League existence, and lived in the city throughout the franchise's lean years in the 1970s. He was at the game where Ray Kroc apologized to fans over the public address microphone for the team's poor play. He swore he could play a better shortstop than Enzo Hernandez. He had hope when the Padres drafted Dave Winfield.

I'll never forget my Dad's line when, in 1984, Alan Wiggins stepped on second base for the force out that sent the Padres to the World Series. In our living room, quietly, he said, "I can't believe it. The Padres are in the World Series."

Another thing about my Dad: he studies the Civil War, and, in particular, admires the work of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, one of the Union heroes at Gettysburg. He and I have stood on the spot where Joshua made his bayonet charge down Little Round Top, over uneven ground and in the face of Confederate rifle fire.

So I wasn't surprised when last night, in the aftermath of the Padres 7th straight loss, I received the following e-mail from my Dad. The e-mail had the subject line "Dadgummitt" and attached the photo of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain you see above.

Bo

That's just about enough...tonight's 7th straight loss requires stern measures.

I'm just gonna relax and think about what Joshua did on Little Round Top.

We need to start playing like the '20th Maine'.

Day off Thursday...I suggest the lads go out and get blotto drunk.

Dad

I don't know if any of the Padres players or coaches read this blog, but that seems like pretty good advice to me.

No comments: