Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Meyers Leonard Saying Some Good Things

As I avoid thinking about the Padres 8-2 loss last night to the Braves, I wanted to highlight an article in today's Peoria Journal Star on Meyers Leonard.

Talk is just talk, and ultimately anything one says must be backed up with actions, but Meyers has a lot of good quotes in this article. He says the kind of things you want to hear as a fan, as a coach, and I'd gather, as a teammate.

Among the more notable things Meyers said:

- “I was kind of childish last year, to be completely honest,” Leonard said Tuesday following a workout at the Ubben Basketball Complex. “I thought I was better than I really was. It was harder than I expected. I think I’m growing up."

- “This year, I finally came around and realized it will take a lot of hard work to start winning here and hopefully continue my career in basketball. I’m starting to listen to coach (Bruce) Weber more. I’m starting to learn quicker and get the concepts.”

- “I know that I have to be good next year in order for us to be good,” he said.

- On learning to play as a big man: “Setting screens, being physical, all the little things big men do to help the team win, and rebound,” Leonard said. “Be a center. Be a beast.”

The Illini face a lot of challenges next season. Ohio St. gets back Jared Sullinger and another solid recruiting class, Indiana will improve with Tyler Zeller, Michigan will likely return everyone from a rapidly improving team, Izzo will have Michigan St. competitive again after a down year, Purdue will likely return a healthy Robbie Hummel, and Wisconsin will win its share of games.

If the Illini want to finish in the top half of the Big Ten, Meyers will, indeed, have to "be a beast."

No comments: