Wednesday, June 22, 2011

With The Padres At Fenway: Vol. 2

Game 2 of the Padres series in Boston ended a 5-4 Drinos win. Like last night, the game was mostly close, tonight's difference being that the Sox didn't explode for a 10-run inning. I'm telling you, if the Padres played the Red Sox in a 7-game series, and the Sox were forced to start Andrew Miller and Alfredo Aceves in games 1 and 2, the Padres just might pull that sucker out.

Among the notable events tonight was that Rizzo again hit a rocket to the deepest part of the ballpark, nearly 420 feet away from home plate. Tonight, however, Jacoby Ellsbury ran it down so it will read on the scorecard as a measly F8. Rizzo also doubled off the monster in the third and knocked in the winning run in the 7th on a groundout to Adrian Gonzalez. He - Rizzo - is a quality baseball player.



I walked to the game again tonight and passed by the Boston Common. This picture doesn't do it justice, but the Common is a broad green expanse with walking paths, tennis courts, park benches, statues, and what not. A very nice place.





My walk was down Boylston St. toward Fenway Park. I'm a big fan of buildings that reflect other buildings, but then again, who isn't?



Latos striding (lollygagging?) out to the bullpen before his start.





Chase stopped to sign a few autographs on his way out to stretch before the game. The more I learn about Chase, the more I realize that the only real flaw in his character, other than being a Steelers fan, is that he has no home run power whatsoever. Still, he was on base three more times tonight, pushing his season OBP is up to .392.





What on Earth were the Red Sox thinking with their logo in the 1950s?



Wachusett Brewing Company's own Green Monsta IPA. There are worse ways to spend $7.50.


This is the view from the Standing Room Only spots near the Pavilion Boxes along the first base line. I think these run for $20 face and you have a ledge to rest your food and adult beverages.





This Tony Gwynn fan was loving the SRO spot. He was a good guy. He saw I was wearing a Padres shirt of my own at one point - not nearly as beastly as his Gwynn jersey - and said, "Go Padres." To which I said, "You too," which made absolutely no sense then or now.





Latos deals through the sun rays.





I took this photo because I like the colors, but also because I think it says that Chase's career batting average with the bases loaded is .150. Huh? Can that be right? I thought it was easier to hit when the bases were loaded because pitchers have to throw strikes. I think we've found another flaw with Chase Headley!





It's always a bit sad when the sun sets on the longest day of the year. Now every day gets shorter for the next six months. #buzzkill



I was going to make a "why is Adrian doing Blue Steel?" joke, but the more I look at the photo, the less it reminds me of Zoolander, and the more it reminds me of just a scary looking person with an intense glare.



Just a random, poetic shot of the Monster.




The blessed sight (and site) of a Padres victory.




Finally, on my way out of the stadium I stopped and took this photo from behind Grandstand section 16. I really like the Grandstand sections around the infield, especially the last row near the concourse. If you can get a seat in the last row on the aisle you can avoid the tight rows and have easy ingress (and egress) to get beers and food and hit the restrooms during the game. And the views are solid, and old-timey. Baseball at its finest.

No comments: