Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Metsies 6, Drinos 5

Darn it, Mike. CY goes out and gives up 1 hit through 5.1 and then you come in and promptly give up the go-ahead three-run bomb to 'Nando Tatis. What a shame. It's too bad too because you've been an absolute monster this season. You've taken on the role of Sleeper Reliever Snaked by Kevin Towers, a role played in the past by the likes of Aki Otsuka, Scott Linebrink and Heath Bell, and performed admirably.

Until last night at Shea, that is.

But these things happen, and, indeed, I partially blame myself for last night's loss. You see, I was at a softball game in Central Park - got smoked 13-4 but that's another story - and missed the first five innings of the game. But then the team went to Brother Jimmy's at 81st and Amsterdam for post-game appetizers and pitchers of cold Coors Louie, and, as I walked in, saw that the Drinos were winning 2-1 and the Metsies had amassed only 1 hit. Of course I immediately bragged to one my softball teammates, a Met fan by the name of D.P. McGillicutty, that the Metsies could not handle CY. No sooner did those words escape my mouth than I look back at the television and see Tatis trotting around the bases and the score flip from Drinos 2-1 to Metsies 4-2.

What a disaster.

Jody - who can hit - almost brought the boys back in the ninth but Giles' rope didn't quite clear Beltran's head and thus the game ended, another loss for the Drinos.

Better luck tonight against Petey Martinez. Here's hoping the Pads pummel that old guy.

No comments: