Wednesday, January 14, 2009

That Indiana Smackdown Was Choice

It kind of got lost in the shuffle here because of the Bolts playoff game, but the Illini quietly destroyed the Hoosiers Saturday afternoon in Champaign. The final score was 76-45. Trent Meacham had 21 points on 7-9 three-point shooting, and 'Nique Keller scored 15 points in 15 minutes off the bench. So choice.

I watched the game at Blondie's on 79th between Amsterdam and Broadway. Sat along the wall across from the bar. Two Hoosier fans - looked like boyfriend and girlfriend - were already sitting at the bar in their red Indiana shirts when I arrived. They already had their coats off and had ordered food and looked ready to settle in for a good basketball game. Then the Illini opened a 22-2 run to start the game.

Needless to say they left before halftime, right after polishing off their double order of wings.

Speaking of Blondie's, I'll be there tonight again for the Illini-Michigan game. My friend Tatty Mareeco, a Michigan fan, will be there as well. The fan of the winning team pays for drinks and appys.

I expect to be opening my wallet.

No comments: