Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Wee David Eckstein

David,

Listen, right now I kind of think of you as a little punk. Can you blame me? I mean remember the 2005 NLDS against the Drinos? Game 3 on that Saturday night at Petco? Ring any bells?

It should.

I flew out from NYC for the game and met my mom and stepdad. I gave them my two good seats (no one will ever accuse me of being a bad kid) and scalped a seat in far far upper right field. You could not get farther away from the field. Your Cardinal team had a 2-0 series lead over the Drinos but I was optimistic the Drinos could snake at least one game before fading away like the 82-80 team they were.

But you had other ideas you little pipsqueak. You singled to lead off the game and promptly scored on a Phat Albert double (incidentally, he looked huge even from where I sat, on Jupiter). Then, in the bottom of the second, you hit a 2-out, 2-run bomb into the left field seats off Woody Williams. You and your 8 bomb season effectively ended the Padre season with a homerun.

How dare you, sir? Have you no decency?

But listen, that was the past. I remember that you seemed locked in during that series (you batted .385 with 4 ribeyes and 3 runs scored) and I always respected that. You seemed like a winner. True, you're an older guy now and maybe not so quick with the bat, but I know you'll bring a competitive, winning attitude with you to the Padres.

So let's let bygones be bygones. I'm happy you are joining the Drinos. And as far as this blog goes, you can join Darren Sproles as the only 5'6" athletes in the Diego area.

Best,
Bevormo

No comments: