Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Edwin "Deep Breath" Moreno Succeeds in Ball-Raising Debut

Deep Breath,

So, how do you like your new nickname? I gave you that moniker last night while watching your noticeably nervous Major League debut in the critical seventh inning of the Padres 4-2 win over the hated Dadgers. Seriously man, for a minute there you looked like a guy about to get laid for the first time who had absolutely no idea what to do. I started to get nervous when the FSN cameras showed you praying for about 3 and a half minutes, Strap-style, behind the mound with your hat in your hand and your head bowed.

I yelled at the screen, "Edwin, God wants you on the mound," but I don't think you heard me.

But hey, you got the job done and that's all that matters. I especially loved how you kept going with that slider on the inside corner to the lefties. That pitch could be nasty on days you're spotting it. It rides in high and drops just under the elbows. Last night it was staying too far inside - perhaps a release point issue due to nerves? - but I bet it catches some corners on a lot of nights.

And getting Manny to pop up to end the inning? Outstanding. That would have been the highlight of my night had FSN not shown this Hardee's commercial starring Padma Lakshmi.

"It reminds me of being in high school. Sneaking out before dinner to savor that sweet, spicy sauce."

Indeed, Padma. Indeed.

Best,
Bevormo

No comments: