Monday, April 18, 2011

Jorge "Georgey" Cantu Goes Yard For First Time As Padre

According to Baseball Reference, the biggest play of yesterday's game was Will Venable's two-run single in the top of the 8th to turn a 6-5 Padres deficit into a 7-6 Padres lead. The Padres would never look back and, despite some drama by Heath Bell in the ninth, finished the day with a victory.

No doubt Will's hit was big. But for my money I'll take Jorge Cantu's monster 2-run jack off Brett Myers in the top of the 5th. At that point the Astros held a 4-1 lead and, with their ace on the mound and with the anemic way the Padres have hit this young season, that lead felt insurmountable. Jorge's blast brought the Padres back to within a run and rallied a cry of hope down from the mountaintops.

All in all a big hit.

3 comments:

Noah said...

I agree that Cantu's shot was the biggest hit. The good news is that Headley is hot and has hit some deep FB's that could easily have gone out. I think Headley is finally filling his potential. Cantu may be turning it around. If he doesn't Rizzo, Blanks, and Clark are all very good options. Check out my blog! ifiweregm.blogspot.com

-Your newest follower

Noah the Kid

Ryan said...

Noah - I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what Rizzo, Blanks, and Clark can do this season. Clark in particular intrigues me. Your blog looks great. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Noah said...

I also like Clark and say we should call him up and let him start or have Rizzo start and Clark move to right. I have a feeling that regardless of Ludwick, Hawpe, and Cantu's final #'s this is their last year unless they become bench bats. Luddy and Jason are turning it around. I'd like to see Rizzo at 1st though...