Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Pick For Top Padres Uniform

As we wait for today's doubleheader in Chicago to start, I cast my eye briefly to fashion. I've been following ESPN's four-part series on Padres uniforms through the years. It's a well-written piece with a lot of great photos of sharply-dressed Drinos past and present.

Somewhat surprising to me was that my favorite uniform - and the uni I hope the Padres eventually return to - is the kit (soccer term!) worn in 1975. Willie McCovey models it in the photo above. I like the brown and yellow trim and the lettering of San Diego across the chest. Plus the uniform keeps the classic brown and yellow helmet with the interlocking "SD".

The 1975 uniform narrowly beats the classic brown, yellow, and orange uniform the Padres wore from 1980 to 1984, the halcyon days that saw them draft and develop Tony Gwynn and appear in their first World Series. I love the crisp brown look of the jersey with the sweet brown undershirt and the yellow wristbands worn near the elbow by Garry Templeton in the photo below.

No one should ever say that Garry Templeton lacked style.

No comments: